What is the most important thing to know about home security? Never let down your guard, even if you have a home security alarm system.
Did you know that when it comes to loss or injury due to crime or disaster in the home, one of the biggest contributing factors is complacency? After all, home is where we relax and shed the cares of the world. It is easy to forget that crime does happen and disaster does strike and often in the very place we would like to think is safe.
Thwart Crime and Calamity
Crime and calamity can strike anyone and anywhere. Here are some important tips to help you protect your home and family.
- Install quality locks such as deadbolts on all doors. This includes front and back doors, garage doors, gates, and sliding glass doors. Remember to secure guest houses, out buildings and pool gates as well.
- Secure all windows with window locks.
- Consider getting a dog for increased safety, but never install doggy doors.
- Never leave or hide spare keys outside the home.
- Always keep your doors locked, even while you are home.
- Install a home security system.
- Remove bushes and trees from the front and sides of the home. They provide cover for criminals.
- Use security motion detection lighting outside the home.
- Install covers and locks on outside fuse boxes.
- Use smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the home, and check them frequently.
- Have at least one fire extinguisher in the home and another in the garage, and keep them charged and serviced according to manufacturer recommendations.
- Have easy access to emergency kits. Keep them stocked with flashlights, first aid supplies, batteries, food, water, shoes, clothes, and cash.
- Be aware of what information you unknowingly provide to thieves or others. Bumper stickers denoting interests, hobbies, club or sporting affiliations can indicate a general time you may be busy. Window family decals can indicate your family make up, whether you are single or have a dog.
- When selling cars or other items to strangers, meet in a well-lit busy parking lot, preferably with security. Never give your home address or other personal information.
- Always keep your cell phone fully charged and invest in an extra solar or personal powered charger that does not rely on electrical power.
About Guardian Security | Bellingham
Personal awareness is always your first line of defense when it comes to home security. Implement personal safety practices and install a home security system. At Guardian Security, we want you to be informed. No matter what challenges your property presents, there is a home security system to meet the need. Options in indoor and outdoor sensors; home security lighting, digital video security and much more can thwart intruders and alert you to possible danger. If you have any questions, be sure to give us a call.